Monday, June 18, 2012

What brings you back to the Iron?

What motivates you to train?  I do it because I love the discipline, I love that the iron is always the same season in and season out.  A $2000 Texas power bar loaded with plates waiting for you on the platform.....it doesn't care if you worked 12 hours today, or that you got up at 3am to feed your baby daughter. It will just break you if you don't leave your shit at the door and get your head in the game.



Since I joined PTC Perth, the thing I love is that everybody is up for the challenge. Tonight I walked in to do shoulders on my 5/3/1 routine and what did I find? Heavy tunes blaring, Paul and Dan coaching, always watching, Dan finishing up his last heavy squat session before nationals in 5 days, guys foam rolling tired shoulders, hips and backs. The energy was palpable.


Lost in the moment  I am banging out military presses tucked away in the corner then I hear..lock out the left arm..lock it out! There it is, Paul is watching my form, making sure I'm staying tight and picking form issues.

That's the difference with true strength facilities like PTC Perth, everyone chips in and coaches, helps load plates or just watches squat depth. That shit alone is worth 20kgs on your 1RM over a year!


What motivates me...training with people who get it, people who love the feel of chalk and the callouses and the scabs on the shins that wont heal because you tear them off every damn deadlift session. Just like the crew at PTC Perth.

2 comments:

  1. hahahah that's brilliant... love the video on the third rep of Paul's when he's screaming the pause, zoom in, gray filter.... HAHAHAHHA nice work. Thanks Paul!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about Paul's form is that every rep is blooddy perfect!

    ReplyDelete